some nights i have trouble sleeping. when that happens, i just pretend i'm at work, and...voila! problem solved.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Is This A New Record??

Almost two months without a blog entry! Incredible, innit?

Tori's been doing a GREAT job keeping y'all updated on our most exciting adventures, but I've had a few developments of my own.

I recently got my bike back from Andy (while we were in Tokyo, there was an Oita-wide charity bike ride, so I lent it out for a while). And...ever since I got it back, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so I've been riding to work again. It's nice not to be at the mercy of the busses. It also makes the trip home about 4 times as fast as walking! Tori and I have gotten to take some nice, relaxing rides in the sunshine, too. Today we did about 20 miles to a mall and back (and boy do our tucheses hoit!). The sun was out in full force and our necks and shoulders took the brunt of it. I'm as red as a...uh...a Maraschino cherry. A really old, semi-rotten, lost-most-of-it's-pizazz Maraschino cherry.

SIDE NOTE: We went to said mall in order to check out the kickin' foreign foods...and ended up eating yakisoba. We saw no foreign food...unless, of course, you count the KFC and McDonald's...but they're all over Japan.

What else is new? Oh yes, in keeping with my tradition of procrastination, I recently made a New Year's resolution. Better late than never, right? I've been feeling a little scrawny and out of shape for about 5 years now, so I decided it was time to do something about it. So...on April 1st, I weighed 68 Kg (just under 150 lbs) and I decided to blow myself up to an impossible 75 Kg (165 lbs) by the time we leave in August. I joined a "gym" (an ex-bodybuilder's garage with some weights in it) and have been lifting 5-6 days a week (and eating like a hog)...and things are going well. I'm over 71 Kilo already...so I think I'm going to make it!

To make sure all of the weight I gained wasn't from empty calories, I also decided not to eat any chocolate for 30 days. I went off the cacao on April 1st and abstained in the face of unrelenting temptation (including, but not limited to, a stash of peanutbutter M&Ms and chocolate-covered ice-cream bars) for what I thought was 30 days. Imagine my surprise when (after eating 2 chocolate Krispy Kremes), I was giving a video recap of our day and I relized...it was only April 30th. So...I fell a day short. We decided to count it anyway, 'cause really...29 days is pretty good, yeah?

Phil and I finally started getting serious about recording a CD while in Japan, so we set aside some time to record some new songs and redo the old ones. From a list of over 20 original songs, we whittled it down to 14 essentials and started laying down some guitar tracks. It's always slow going with this kind of stuff, but we got 7 songs worth of guitar tracks done in just one Saturday (that's pretty good, by the way). Hopefully we'll be able to do some more soon. Time's getting short...only 3 months left!

Here are a few pictures of our high-tech studio:







Today, we picked up some baseball gloves and a baseball, too! That may not seem too excited to the untrained ear, but...let me tell you...it's exciting. Exciting like a hamster on your 4th birthday. We've been looking for some cheap gloves for a long time, but the majority of them are well over $100...and we're really not that good at playing catch.

So...that's what's going on in my neck of the woods. What's new with y'all??

THIS WEEK'S CHALLENGE: If more than 6 people comment and/or email me in response to this blog by Friday, I'll promise to write another one by next Saturday. Scout's honor.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

#1!

can shawn really keep his promise? i guess we shall see...

8:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#2!

How lucky am I to have randomly checked your blog today? Here I am, doing my part to ensure regular blog writing! By the way, if you want to join a gym when you get home, I have an exercise ball and a jumprope I can put out in my garage for ya. And my going rate is much cheaper than any 24 hour fitness.

4:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a yard full of weeds and a lot of painting to do, and won't even charge ya. I will provide free room and board though.

Love,
Guess Who

5:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... I'm going to have to hear these 20 songs... and did you ever finish boy scouts? Hmm, I think we have a problem here.

9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is number 5 so it is time to stop. We don't want to encourage this kind of reckless behavior any more. I've seen this guy in action for over 24 years now and someone could get hurt. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Dad

9:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SIX!!

SIX!!!

I think you highly underestimate the abilities of your readers.

I am taking this as a personal challenge.

Love,
Mom

10:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My life is pretty much in the gutter right now. I need to be uplifted every day as only you can with your unique insights into everyday living. It gives me hope that maybe things are not as bad as they seem if I just look at them a little differently. Keep it up.

10:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is your tour coming to my town, and when does the CD come out?????????

Can I have an autographed picture???

12:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is number nine....good for a blog and a half! Can't wait to hear the CD...the few I ahave heard were excellent. Gus

1:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home